Re: RFS: xxxterm (2nd attempt)

Hi Kilian,

Kilian Krause <kilian@debian.org> writes:

> Having a look at your package I find:

First of all, thanks a lot for looking at the package!  Later today I
will go through your comments, make all the changes your suggesting and
update the package at mentors.

A few comments below.

> 1. You're using debhelper compat 7 and also only debhelper >= 7.0.50~ as
> Build-Depends. Please bump that to 8

Ok, will do that.

> 2. Since debhelper 7 there's dh which should help clearing out your
> debian/rules quit a bit. I'd recommend switching to that

I'll need to spend some more time to actually understand what I will
need to change.  I'm quite new to packaging, so every bit takes a while
to understand.

> 3. There's some lintian comments that would improve your package:
> I: xxxterm: spelling-error-in-binary usr/bin/xxxterm paramters
> parameters
> P: xxxterm: no-upstream-changelog
> I: xxxterm: package-contains-empty-directory usr/lib/
> I: xxxterm: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/xxxterm.1.gz:70
> I: xxxterm: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/xxxterm.1.gz:71
> I: xxxterm: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign
> usr/share/man/man1/xxxterm.1.gz:748

I will try to remove these.

> 4. Why only install xxxterm.conf as example instead of putting it
> into /etc/xxxterm.conf where it's required?

Well, I guess this one (which is the one you consider the most relevant)
is actually not required.  The reason is that the application does not
actually look at /etc directory for this config file -- the application
has built-in defaults that are used if the user does not have any config
file in its home directory.

One thing I could do is to write a patch to be sent upstream to actually
add this extra feature.

> 5. Your patches seem to not have been pushed back upstream. Did you
> consider that?

You're right, I will contact the authors.  I guess at least some of them
may be relevant.

> Of those I'd be especially interested in 4. - otherwise the package
> could be uploaded IMHO.

Great, that would be great.  I'll send an update later on.

Cheers,
--
Luis Henriques