Re: RFS: xxxterm (2nd attempt)

Luis,

On Thu, 2011-07-07 at 23:12 +0100, Luis Henriques wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "xxxterm".
>
> * Package name    : xxxterm
>   Version         : 1.399-1
>   Upstream Author : Marco Peereboom <marco@peereboom.us>, Stevan Andjelkovic <stevan@student.chalmers.se>, Edd Barrett <vext01@gmail.com>, Todd T. Fries <todd@fries.net>
> * URL             : http://opensource.conformal.com/wiki/XXXTerm
> * License         : ISC
>   Section         : web
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> xxxterm    - Minimalist's web browser

> The upload would fix these bugs: 631655
>
> My motivation for maintaining this package is:
> I've been using xxxterm for a long time now, and I believe other users
> could benefit from this package being available on the base Debian
> distribution.
>
> The number of users for this package will probably be a small subset of
> all Debian users, as the web browser provided by it seems to have a
> focus on security.  Thus, web power users will still be willing to user
> other browsers such as iceweasel and chromium.

> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/x/xxxterm/xxxterm_1.399-1.dsc

Having a look at your package I find:

1. You're using debhelper compat 7 and also only debhelper >= 7.0.50~ as
Build-Depends. Please bump that to 8

2. Since debhelper 7 there's dh which should help clearing out your
debian/rules quit a bit. I'd recommend switching to that

3. There's some lintian comments that would improve your package:
I: xxxterm: spelling-error-in-binary usr/bin/xxxterm paramters
parameters
P: xxxterm: no-upstream-changelog
I: xxxterm: package-contains-empty-directory usr/lib/
I: xxxterm: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/xxxterm.1.gz:70
I: xxxterm: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign usr/share/man/man1/xxxterm.1.gz:71
I: xxxterm: hyphen-used-as-minus-sign
usr/share/man/man1/xxxterm.1.gz:748

4. Why only install xxxterm.conf as example instead of putting it
into /etc/xxxterm.conf where it's required?

5. Your patches seem to not have been pushed back upstream. Did you
consider that?

Of those I'd be especially interested in 4. - otherwise the package
could be uploaded IMHO.

--
Best regards,
Kilian