Re: RFS: arp-scan (updated package, new maintainer)

William,

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 03:05 -0500, William Vera wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Kilian Krause <kilian@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > thanks for your work and for stepping up as new maintainer of this
> > package. Here's some question's I'd like answered before finally putting
> > this into the archive:
> >
> > 1. you introduced debian/watch and latest version according to uscan is
> > 1.8. Yet you still uploaded a 1.6-2. Why? Is 1.8 not yet ready?
>
> I recently downloaded and at first look, I have this error:
>
> Checking custom ARP request packet with VLAN tag and LLC/SNAP framing
> against ./pkt-custom-request-vlan-llc.dat ...
> FAILED
> FAIL: check-packet
> Checking simple ARP response packet decode using ./pkt-simple-response.pcap ...
> ok
> Checking padded ARP response packet decode using ./pkt-padding-response.pcap ...
> ok
> Checking 802.1Q ARP response packet decode using ./pkt-vlan-response.pcap ...
> ok
> Checking LLC/SNAP ARP response packet decode using ./pkt-llc-response.pcap ...
> ok
> Checking 192.168.1.0/24 ARP response packet decode using
> ./pkt-net1921681-response.pcap ...
> ok
> Checking IP range ARP response packet decode using
> ./pkt-simple-response.pcap ...
> ok
> Checking IP net:mask ARP response packet decode using
> ./pkt-simple-response.pcap ...
> ok
> Checking trailer ARP response packet decode using
> ./pkt-trailer-response.pcap ...
> ok
> Checking 802.1Q LLC ARP response packet decode using
> ./pkt-vlan-llc-response.pcap ...
> ok
> PASS: check-decode
> Checking host list creation using ./pkt-net1921681-response.pcap ...
> ok
> PASS: check-host-list
> 1 of 4 tests failed
> Please report to arp-scan@nta-monitor.com
> make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/billy/dev/arp-scan/arp-scan-1.8'
> make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/billy/dev/arp-scan/arp-scan-1.8'
> dh_auto_test: make -j1 check returned exit code 2
> make: *** [build] Error 29
> dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
>
> I'm a little tired now (it's 3am here) but as I said, at first look
> its a bite weird.

I guess you should try to do what it reads. Ask
arp-scan@nta-monitor.com and see what they tell about why this is
happening - and how to fix it properly.

> > 2. You bump debhelper build-depends to 7.0.50~ but leave debian/compat
> > at 5. I think both should be 8.
>
> Updated.
>

> > 3. debian/patches/debian-changes-1.6-2 was removed with no obvious
> > reason why it was needed in the first place and now isn't anymore. To me
> > this patch smells like a backport from a newer upstream release. Please
> > put some sort of comment into the changelog if this was intentionally
> > dropped with a short explanation (obviously cannot be "fixed upstream"
> > with same upstream version packaged).
> >

> It's not from original source is because my "dirty" workspace I just
> removed the directory and uncompressed again to "cleanup" the diff.

I seem to have put it confusingly. You dropped a patch that was in
1.6-1. Where has that patch gone? Why is it dropped and no longer
needed?

> > 4. arp-scan-1.6-2/debian/patches/fixmanpages.patch has no comment this
> > was forwarded upstream. I think it should be though.
>
> Yes I did.

Great!

> > 5. lrwxrwxrwx  root/root   /usr/share/doc/arp-scan/ChangeLog.gz ->
> > changelog.gz
> >
> > is a funny artefact of "dh_installchangelogs -k ...". I think going
> > without the -k would be better unless you say something is relying on
> > the name "ChangeLog.gz" in mixed spelling.
> >

> It's according the man page: man dh_installchangelogs

Which part of:
          Keep the original name of the upstream changelog. This will be
          accomplished by installing the upstream changelog as
changelog, and
          making a symlink from that to the original name of the
changelog
          file. This can be useful if the upstream changelog has an
unusual
          name, or if other documentation in the package refers to the
          changelog file.

are you referring to? ChangeLog is not a unusual name. Thus IMHO the -k
can still be dropped.

> > 6. dpkg-gencontrol: warning: package arp-scan: unused substitution
> > variable ${perl:Depends}
>
> I'm a little confused, how I can clean this warning?

Feed the perl file that resides out of place to dh_perl on the command
line or drop the ${perl:Depends} if it's not needed.

> > should also be fixed I guess.
> >

> Sure, I'm working on it!

Thanks!

--