Re: RFS: arp-scan (updated package, new maintainer)

Hi!

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Kilian Krause <kilian@debian.org> wrote:

> thanks for your work and for stepping up as new maintainer of this
> package. Here's some question's I'd like answered before finally putting
> this into the archive:
>
> 1. you introduced debian/watch and latest version according to uscan is
> 1.8. Yet you still uploaded a 1.6-2. Why? Is 1.8 not yet ready?

I recently downloaded and at first look, I have this error:

Checking custom ARP request packet with VLAN tag and LLC/SNAP framing
against ./pkt-custom-request-vlan-llc.dat ...
FAILED
FAIL: check-packet
Checking simple ARP response packet decode using ./pkt-simple-response.pcap ...
ok
Checking padded ARP response packet decode using ./pkt-padding-response.pcap ...
ok
Checking 802.1Q ARP response packet decode using ./pkt-vlan-response.pcap ...
ok
Checking LLC/SNAP ARP response packet decode using ./pkt-llc-response.pcap ...
ok
Checking 192.168.1.0/24 ARP response packet decode using
./pkt-net1921681-response.pcap ...
ok
Checking IP range ARP response packet decode using
./pkt-simple-response.pcap ...
ok
Checking IP net:mask ARP response packet decode using
./pkt-simple-response.pcap ...
ok
Checking trailer ARP response packet decode using
./pkt-trailer-response.pcap ...
ok
Checking 802.1Q LLC ARP response packet decode using
./pkt-vlan-llc-response.pcap ...
ok
PASS: check-decode
Checking host list creation using ./pkt-net1921681-response.pcap ...
ok
PASS: check-host-list
1 of 4 tests failed
Please report to arp-scan@nta-monitor.com
make[2]: *** [check-TESTS] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/billy/dev/arp-scan/arp-scan-1.8'
make[1]: *** [check-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/billy/dev/arp-scan/arp-scan-1.8'
dh_auto_test: make -j1 check returned exit code 2
make: *** [build] Error 29
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2

I'm a little tired now (it's 3am here) but as I said, at first look
its a bite weird.

> 2. You bump debhelper build-depends to 7.0.50~ but leave debian/compat
> at 5. I think both should be 8.

Updated.

> 3. debian/patches/debian-changes-1.6-2 was removed with no obvious
> reason why it was needed in the first place and now isn't anymore. To me
> this patch smells like a backport from a newer upstream release. Please
> put some sort of comment into the changelog if this was intentionally
> dropped with a short explanation (obviously cannot be "fixed upstream"
> with same upstream version packaged).

It's not from original source is because my "dirty" workspace I just
removed the directory and uncompressed again to "cleanup" the diff.

> 4. arp-scan-1.6-2/debian/patches/fixmanpages.patch has no comment this
> was forwarded upstream. I think it should be though.

Yes I did.

> 5. lrwxrwxrwx  root/root   /usr/share/doc/arp-scan/ChangeLog.gz ->
> changelog.gz
>
> is a funny artefact of "dh_installchangelogs -k ...". I think going
> without the -k would be better unless you say something is relying on
> the name "ChangeLog.gz" in mixed spelling.

It's according the man page: man dh_installchangelogs

> 6. dpkg-gencontrol: warning: package arp-scan: unused substitution
> variable ${perl:Depends}

I'm a little confused, how I can clean this warning?

> should also be fixed I guess.

Sure, I'm working on it!

> --
> Best regards,