Re: RFS: iwtan-gui

On 25/06/2011 12:46, Kilian Krause wrote:
> Marco,
>
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 11:19:43PM +0200, Marco Cornolti wrote:
>> On 24/06/2011 22:03, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
>>> Hi Marco,
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Before even starting to possible review this package I'm seriously wondering why
>>> these are separate source packages. Why aren't both the GUI and the library
>>> built from the same source package? As is, I would expect a number of dependency
>>> problems to appear!?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Michael
>>>

>> Hello,
>> thank you for considering reviewing this package. I have separated the
>> GUI and the library because they are actually separated projects. The
>> idea is that, despite they were both coded by me, the gui could be
>> written (and, in the future, mantained) by someone else just using the API.
>> I'm not sure that's a good reason, and i can merge the two source
>> packages if it's considered cleaner.
>> The point is that I've written the GUI just to give an example of how to
>> exploit some of the library features (even though the gui is thought to
>> be nice and useful), and I wanted to keep the example and library codes
>> separate.
>
> That rationale sounds fine to have two projects. Have you considered making
> it two separate source packages then?

Yes, the projects are now uploaded on mentors.debian.net as separate
source packages, namely iwtan-gui (which produces the binary package
iwtan-gui) and libiwtan (which produces libiwtan-dev and libiwtan0).

Michael raised the problem of the correctness of having two separate
source files (as i did) instead of one (as he proposed). I'm waiting for
more opinions on that :)

Marco