Re: RFS: brainparty

Am Dienstag, den 07.06.2011, 15:37 +0800 schrieb Paul Wise:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Johannes Storm wrote:
>
> > i am not the upstream author. i was unsure with the licenses, because in
> > brainparty-data are some sound-files under Creative Common (see
> > copyright-file). perhabs someone can say me if CC is also a free license
> > and i can take the stuff to main/games.
>
> Some CC licenses are DFSG-free and some are not.
>
> Looking at the CREDITS file, CC-BY-ND is non-free and so is soundsnap's license.

i am in contact with the upstream author. he will dropping the soundsnap
files. perhaps he also can replace stuff with CC-BY-ND so the package
becomes free.

> There is only one audio file with a DFSG-free license
> (electricity.ogg) and I doubt that a compressed audio file is the
> preferred form for modification of it, the authors website mentions
> "many software synthesizers" but does not offer any downloads of the
> relevant settings for them:
>
> http://www.alexanderblu.com/AlexanderBlu/The%20Music/Music_Electricity.htm
>
> Along the same lines, the package includes a copy of the FreeSans
> font, which is GPLv3 but does not include the source code for it. This
> is a GPL violation, please get upstream to fix it.

what does it means »source code of a font«? isn't the included ttf file
enough?

> Also, lots of the images include text, some of which is definitely not
> FreeSans or similar. Please talk to upstream about rendering the text
> at runtime or build time.

if he use freesans in his images, can't he publish the images as is? i
understand you so, that if he use other fonts (and don't paint all by
himself) he also have to publish a license for this fonts. is this
right?

i think the upstream author is interested in distribution this game as
package, so he will change his project.

by johannes

--
email:       jo-master@gmx.de