Re: Re: RFS: socketcan-utils

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 2 May 2011 17:07:01 +0200
> Markus Becker <mab@comnets.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
>
> [ I'm not a DD, but I'd like to share some my ideas about your RFS,
> however. ]
>
> > * Package name    : socketcan
> >
> >   Version         : 0.0.1+svn1240-1
> >   Upstream Author :     Volkswagen Group Electronic Research
> >
> >     Wolfgang Grandegger <wg@grandegger.com>
> >     Vladislav Gribov, IXXAT Automation GmbH, <gribov@ixxat.de>
> >     <socketcan-users@lists.berlios.de>
>
> Is it an author, or multiple authors? Does it really matter where do
> they work? Also, <socketcan-users@> don't really seem to belong here.

I took this from debian/copyright where it is much more nicely indented.
Will remove socketcan-users, but will have to add more other authors, which I
discovered by grepping for author.

OK, that would be http://berlios.de/projects/socketcan/

> > * License         : GPL-2
>
> Is it just GPL-2, or GPL-2 and later? If latter, it must be GPL-2+ here.

This is the COPYING file from svn. I don't see a mention of 'or later'.

Copyright (c) 2002-2007 Volkswagen Group Electronic Research
All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:
1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions, the following disclaimer and
   the referenced file 'COPYING'.
2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
3. Neither the name of Volkswagen nor the names of its contributors
   may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
   without specific prior written permission.

Alternatively, provided that this notice is retained in full, this
software may be distributed under the terms of the GNU General
Public License ("GPL") version 2 as distributed in the 'COPYING'
file from the main directory of the linux kernel source.

The provided data structures and external interfaces from this code
are not restricted to be used by modules with a GPL compatible license.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
"AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
DAMAGE.

> >   Section         : net
>
> You'd better put some short package description here (which probably
> goes into Description field of debian/control file).

The RFS template from mentors does not include this.

> > It builds these binary packages:
> > socketcan-driver - Source for the socketcan kernel modules
>
> This maybe should include -source as the part of the package name (I'm
> not sure, however, but I'd do it that way).

I had problems with the m-a finding the tar.bz2 with -source, without it m-a
was finding it without problems.

Thanks for your feedback.

Markus