Re: RFS: mactelnet

Hello,

On Mon, 2 May 2011 13:50:08 +0200
Håkon Nessjøen <haakon.nessjoen@gmail.com> wrote:

>  mactelnet-client - Console tools for telneting and pinging via MAC
> addresses
>  mactelnet-server - Telnet daemon for accepting connections
> via MAC addresses

My opinion is that the description is a bit messy. You don't 'accept
connections via MAC addresses', basically. And you can't literally have
'UDP packets with a MAC-address as destination', as far as my knowledge
of TCP/IP stack suggests.

I would call these packages this way:

mactelnet-client - Client for Microtic proprietary MAC Telnet protocol

 Ping, discovery and telnet tools for connecting to Mikrotik RouterOS
 devices, or other MAC Telnetd powered machines/devices.
 .
 This tool can communicate with servers using Microtik proprietary MAC
 Telnet protocol. You can connect to Linux machines that
 have installed mactelnet-server, or a Mikrotik RouterOS device.
 .
 Included are also MNDP discovery application, and macping to ping via
 the mactelnet protocol.
 .
 These tools have nothing to do with Telnet protocol specified by RFC
 854 and 855.

mactelnet-server - Server for Microtik proprietary MAC Telnet protocol

 The remote access server that uses Mikrotik proprietary MAC Telnet
 protocol. This enables to users to access the host using MAC Telnet
 protocol.
 .
 This package has nothing to do with Telnet protocol specified by RFC
 854 and 855.

--
WBR, Andrew