Re: RFS: nautilus-image-manipulator

Hi Emilien,

Le dimanche 01 mai 2011 à 15:12:48 (+0200 CEST), Emilien Klein a écrit :
> > As for the packaging itself, I would still clean rules file by removing
> > unneeded `find…' call and the override_dh_auto_build
>
> I removed override_dh_auto_build. However, I believe the 'find…' is
> needed because it removes the empty
> "/usr/share/omf/nautilus-image-manipulator" directory that gets
> created by python-distutils-extra. I thus left it.

I don't get this empty directory when removing the complete dh_install
override...

Looking at the bug you reported against python-distutils-extra [0], I have
checked the code and noticed the behaviour was actually fixed in revision
241 [1].

[...]
> > Also, it might be good to add a note somewhere stating that nautilus should
> > be restarted after the package was installed (and explain what the user
> > should do) - this is from my experience with nautilus-open-terminal.
>
> Indeed, Nautilus needs to be restarted (which by the way is not handy
> when developing). Where should I add such a note? I see none such note
> in the description of nautilus-open-terminal.

README.Debian seems the best place, though not all users look at this
before reporting a bug ;)

> > As for the application itself: what features does it bring compared to
> > nautilus-image-converter? Sending by email can already be done by
> > nautilus-sendextension.
>
> Actually sending the resized images by email is a feature that's not
> yet implemented. The only option to send for now is to send it to a
> remote file hosting site, which is not supported by
> nautilus-image-converter. Other features is zipping the resized
> images, and putting in subfolders. These are the features I
> concentrated on to get the first release out. More will follow.

Thanks, I now understand your motivation and objectives.

[...]
> > I have also noticed a behaviour which should be changed: when resizing a
> > small image to a greater size, it gets actually resized (ie. a 500x500
> > picture is resized to eg. 768x768). I would expect the pictures to be
> > resized to smaller size only if the aim is to reduce their weight so that
> > they can easily be sent eg. by email.
>
> Actually that's a feature, not a bug. I explicitly allow to resize up
> to 200% (if you use the scaling option) to accommodate some users
> wanting to increase the height and width of the images. If someone
> expresses that need, I'm OK with allowing them to do it even if it
> degrades the quality of the images...

As a user, I would appreciate a warning when resizing means degrading the
quality of a picture.

[...]
> Please review the updated package.

Please check this empty directory issue and try and write a small note about
restarting nautilus, I'll then upload the package for you.

Cheers,
Julien

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-distutils-extra/+bug/714891
[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~python-distutils-extra-hackers/python-distutils-extra/debian/revision/241

--
  .''`.   Julien Valroff ~ <julien@kirya.net> ~ <julien@debian.org>
 : :'  :  Debian Developer & Free software contributor