Re: Request for sponsor: mactelnet

On 01.05.2011 02:06, Håkon Nessjøen wrote:
> I would really like for a DD to look at my package, and be my sponsor,
> as I am eager to begin as an active package maintainer. This is
> hopefully the first of many to come.

I am no DD, so feel free to ignore my advises but I really like the idea
of your package so I'd like to see it in Debian as well. Therfore I took
a quick look on it.

Here are some hints:

* You do not provide a watch file. Learn more about it on [1]
* You should split up the source package in two packages:
mactelnet-client and mactelnet-server, for client and server use
respectively. Most users of the client package most likely neither want
nor need the server component on the local machine installed.
* You have serveral mactelnet-doc helper files in your debian directory.
If you don't provide a -doc package (you don't) remove them.
* Consider switching to DEP-5 for debian/copyright [2]
* You may want to provide a public accessible VCS for Debian packaging,
consider applying to collab-maint [3][4]
* Header files don't have a copyright. Note this pure optional, since
you are upstream as well, it is perhaps easily to adapt though.
* udp.* misses copyright at all. If you are the author, please add it to
at least to the source or the header file respectively.
* md5.* is not your copyright, you have to mention this in Debians
copyright file, refer to the DEP-5 hint. Moreover you could consider
linking against one of the crypto libraries providing a MD5
implementation, note OpenSSL is incompatible to your GPL-2+ software
though.
* Your clean target does not cleanly remove all changes you made in the
source directory. In particular you don't remove docs. You seem to
generate docs through a quilt patch. That's a bit odd, please use
dh_installman(1) instead. If you don't want to incorporate your manpages
to your upstream tarball for future releases, you can put them into the
debian directory as well
* Out of curiosity: What's the purpose of macping? How is it different
to arping(8)?
* You should formulate command line synopsis more clear. You say your
program is useful for generig Linux hardware too? If so, sentences like
"MAC -MAC-Address of the RouterOS device. Use mndp to discover them."
are misleading.
* Maybe be a bit more verbose in your description, refer to the policy
§3.4 [5]

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/dother.en.html#watch
[2] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/
[3] https://alioth.debian.org/projects/collab-maint/