Re: RFS: downtimed

* [Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 11:10:37PM +0100] Michael Biebl:
I don't like those disable-service-via-etc-default files at all.

Oh, and it also breaks 3rd party tools which use
/etc/init.d/foo status
to find out if a service is running or not.

Because IMHO it's also wrongly implemented, at least most of the times (not referring specifically to this package, as I haven't taken a look at it). I mean: generally a conditional exit 0 is put at the start of the init script, but the etc-default-file option should only be honoured during starting of the service and only if the script is invoked via a S* link. Otherwise, the init script itself becomes useless so that not only status (if existent) is broken, but even start, stop, restart, and so on... update-rc.d is a much better alternative (optionally combined with a debconf question, if the maintainer thinks the service shouldn't normally run).

Ciao,
Gian Piero.