Re: RFS: pev

On 2011-01-11 23:05, Fernando Mercês wrote:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "pev".
>
> * Package name : pev
>   Version : 0.22-1
>   Upstream Author : Fernando Mercês <fernando@mentebinaria.com.br>
> * License : GPL
>   Section : utils
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> pev - Utility to the get Product Version of PE32 executables

> The upload would fix these bugs: 608460
>
> My motivation for maintaining this package is: This is a program that I
> wrote and I'm a big Debian fan and user for five years. I really want to
> contribute do project by starting a maintainer life.

> - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main
> contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/pev/pev_0.22-1.dsc

> Kind regards,
> Fernando Mercês

Hey

I had a look at your package:

d/copyright:
 - I guess "Source: ftp://ftp.example.com/pub/games"; should be updated.
 - I believe it has a few syntax errors (e.g. email written on their
   own line)

For repeated licenses I believe the right notation is

Files: a
Copyright: ...
License: GPL-3+

Files: b
Copyright: ...
License: GPL-3+

License: GPL-3+
  Yada yada yada

But I could be wrong here.  There is a new tool to check the DEP-5
format[1], though all though it still has some quirks (see the thread
for more info).  Just a heads up if you try it; it has been reported
that the --save option made undesired changes to copyright file[2].

d/rules: I think there is no need to override dh_auto_install. As I
recall when there is exactly one package dh_auto_install will do exactly
what you are doing in your override target.

d/control:
 - Any particular reason not to put the Homepage: field in the source
   entry?  All package entries will inherit it if they do not have
   they own and in this way the Homepage field will also appear in the
   dsc file.
 - Why the build-depends on debhelper 7.3.8? Based on your rules file
   you could do with 7.0.50~ (or even 7 if you remove the override
   target).
   It is perfectly fine if debhelper >= 7.3.8 fixed some issue
   that your package triggers with older debhelpers.

~Niels

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/01/msg00381.html

[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/01/msg00410.html