Re: RFS: failmalloc - Memory allocation failure crash-test tool (2nd try)

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 08:09:11PM +0100, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 05:31:54PM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
> > Not quite correct. Lintian allows you to B-D on autotools-dev (among
> > others) to suppress this warning. Adding it to B-D makes lintian skip
> > the check entirely (yupe, I did look it up in the lintain source[1]). As
> > I recall you can do this with a B-D dh-autoreconf plus
> >
> > %:
> > 	dh $@ --with autoreconf
> >
> > in d/rules.
> >
> > Though lintian will not suppress the warning in this case (see #592358).
> > In this case, just override the tag or even leave it there; I /suspect/
> > this will be fixed in lintian in one of the next versions.
>
> I managed to get the config.* files upgrade with
>
> %:
> 	dh $@ --with autotools-dev
>
> Do you think this is ok?

Yes, that is perfectly OK and used in many packages, including some of mine :)

> Using autoreconf would have deleted many files
> from the upstream sources and I think this is not a good thing.

True; also, autotools have been known to be kind of fragile in the past, and
sometimes rebuilding the configure script and friends with a newer version of
autoconf, automake, etc has produced funny bugs.  Just --with autotools-dev
is quite enough in many cases.

> > True, but if they want to directly link against it they can still do it
> > by passing -L/usr/lib/libfailmalloc -lfailmalloc, so you are not
> > preventing it (just making it slightly less trivial).
> >
> >   As for linking against it and not needing failmalloc (binary package);
> > I think you would, since the unversioned symlink is shipped in
> > failmalloc (alternatively there is no reason to ship the unversioned
> > symlink in the failmalloc binary package).
>
> Quite a good point indeed.
>
> I re-uploaded, dropping the libfailmalloc0 package and adding
> autotools-dev to rules.

G'luck,
Peter

--