Re: RFS: libqglviewer

On Tuesday 13 Dec 2011 23:18:13 Artur R. Czechowski wrote:
> Hello,
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "libqglviewer".

I'm not a Debian Developer so I cannot sponsor, but this is a review with
comments and considerations.  I will appreciate if people more knowledgable
than me confirm or rebut my comments.

Items in no particular order, just to separate topics.

1) Name of author in *.README.Debian files contain dot:
"This package contains QGLViewer made by Gilles.Debune available at:"

2) Actually the 3 *.README.Debian contain the same text... would not be
better to have just "README.Debian" that would be shipped with all binary
packages?  (Or it doesn't work in this way, as other files in debian/ do?)

3) There's version 3 available for watch files, maybe it's good to update
it?  (I never used version=2 so I am not aware of advantages/disadvantages)

4) Copyright could use DEP-5 format.  Anyway, I think that it would be at
least good to mention the GPL_EXCEPTION file in the source, with "Additional
rights granted beyond the GPL (the "Exception")".

Maybe it would even be necessary to mention the double-license (GPLv2 and
commercial), copying the whole header of LICENSES file to "copyright".

5) debhelper compat 7 is a bit outdated I think.  Maybe it's not still
deprecated, but debian/rules would be greatly simplified.

Conversion to compat 9 and multi-arch is probably required before next
stable release, although it's understandable if you want to do this in small
steps (I usually do this with my packages).

6) I think that Policy Standards Version 3.9.2 that you updated actually
requires that you convert Conflicts to Breaks/Replaces in your control file,
at least for the case of your package (see "7.4 Conflicting binary packages
- Conflicts"):
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html

This lintian warning is related to the same:
http://lintian.debian.org/tags/conflicts-with-version.html

Hope that it's useful!  Cheers.