Re: RFS: php-memcached

Hello Sergey,

On 20.11.2011 07:44, Sergey B Kirpichev wrote:
> I'm unsure if it's RC at all.  I'll try to fix this that way
> on next upload, but it seems better to
> 1) lower #629896's priority to important

this does not make the problem disappear. I'd agree with Jossip though
who claimed the issue would be release-critical. The fact you render the
package unusable on heavy loaded servers sounds pretty critical, doesn't
it?

> 2) document workarround's (e.g. see Stefan's reply, php-memcached also
> seems to be an option)

Yes, but that's not a solution either. Using fcgi is a completely
different approach which is untypical for Apache at least and
php-memcached uses a different API, right?

Hence, your suggested workarounds would either require to change the
application or the entire web server setup respectively.

> 3) leave real decision on how to fix to upstream

Well, it's not /really/ a big deal. Just replace select() by poll().
That's the lazy solution. Possibly not the most effective since faster
(non-portable) alternatives exist (e.g. libev), but an easy one. Many
devices emulate select() by using poll's kernel interface anyway.

>> The problem occurs to both of your source packages, php-memcached and
>> php-memcache.
>
> I'm unaware.  Libmemcached (in testing at least) uses poll, isn't?

Oh, I'm sorry my memories apparently were wrong. php-memcached indeed
doesn't use select() but  libmemcached as you said.

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll
IRC: daemonkeeper on Freenode/OFTC