reentrantcy?

Is there any requirement that a shared library be reentrant, if the upstream
wrote it that way?

Am I correct in my assumption, that although non-reentrancy presents a problem
for multi threaded programs, it is not a problem for multi-programming, that
is two programs using the same shared library at the same time, because the
linker will assure that the separate programs will have separate copies of any
writable global or static data?

I believe that it is better to write reentrant code and such code should be
written when starting from scratch. But there is no reason not to use already
existing non-reentrant code in non multi threaded applications. Am I correct?

Also, I believe that non-reentrantcy, is not reason for static linking. The
linker is capable of creating separate copies of writable global or static
data, when programs are linked to a shared library. Am I correct?

I ask these questions, because I have encountered someone who believes
differently.

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J