Re: RFS: stumpwm

Hi David,

David Banks <amoebae@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Desmond,
>
> On 07/11/11 18:05, Desmond O. Chang wrote:
>> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "stumpwm".
>
> I am not a DD so I can't upload your package.  However I am a stumpwm
> user, except I have been using the upstream git version until now
> because I initially had trouble using the Debian package and didn't have
> the time to troubleshoot.
>
> Technically the package looks fine, it builds cleanly in a sid chroot.
> Lintian has one pedantic warning:
> P: stumpwm: copyright-refers-to-symlink-license
> usr/share/common-licenses/GPL
> You may want to change that to GPL-2.
>
> You might want to use DEP-3 for patches.
> Consider updating your DEP-5 formatting:
>   Format-Specification -> Format
>   Upstream-Source -> Source
>   Upstream-Maintainer -> Upstream-Contact
> And you need to expand the short name for the license GPL-3+.

I will rewrite debian/* in some future releases.

> I faced some problems in using the package.  Initially, both clisp and
> sbcl would complain about "Component 'stumpwm' not found".  I eventually
> found out that I needed a symlink:
> /usr/share/common-lisp/systems/stumpwm.asd ->
> /usr/share/common-lisp/source/stumpwm/stumpwm.asd
>
> I presume the package was meant to set this link up itself, but for some
> reason it didn't.  I installed it using 'dpkg -i' after building it with
> 'debuild'.
>
> Once I had set up the symlink, I was able to load and use stumpwm
> successfully with both SBCL and CLISP.

This is a bug of cl-asdf.  See #647544.

Stumpwm doesn't create the symlink because ASDF2 searches *.asd in
/usr/share/common-lisp/source/ by default.

In 2:2.018-1, due to #647544, cl-asdf searches in
/usr/common-lisp/source/, which doesn't exist.

Certainly you can make a symlink in /usr/share/common-lisp/systems/, but
this won't fix #647544.  The reason why it works is the file
'/etc/common-lisp/source-registry.conf.d/01-common-lisp-controller.conf'.

$ cat /etc/common-lisp/source-registry.conf.d/01-common-lisp-controller.conf
(:directory  #p"/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/")

If you have a user-level config file like this, ASDF will not find
stumpwm even the symlink exists:

$ cat ~/.config/common-lisp/source-registry.conf
;; -*- mode: lisp -*-
(:source-registry
 (:default-registry)
 (:ignore-inherited-configuration))

> I would give you some more detailed feedback on using the package, but
> at the moment I am using stumpwm with GNOME 3 (in fallback mode) and my
> configuration -- which is pretty fragile -- was broken.  I believe this
> is because upstream git defaults to compiling an SBCL image as a binary,
> which has a marginally faster startup time.  Because the packaged
> version of stumpwm loads slightly slower, GNOME is (most times!) able to
> load its panel first, causing Stumpwm to load on top of it, which breaks
> the ability to use the GNOME panel.  [Suggestions welcome, I don't
> consider this a bug in the stump package because using stump with the
> GNOME panel seems to be quite a bizarre and non-recommended
> configuration.  I have been meaning to migrate away from it but didn't
> get the time.]

I never use gnome so I don't know how to solve it.  But I find this on
the mailing list:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.window-managers.stumpwm.devel/1424/

If it doesn't help, you can post your problem to the mailing list.

Thanks,
Des