Re: RFS: stumpwm

Hi Desmond,

On 07/11/11 18:05, Desmond O. Chang wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "stumpwm".

I am not a DD so I can't upload your package.  However I am a stumpwm
user, except I have been using the upstream git version until now
because I initially had trouble using the Debian package and didn't have
the time to troubleshoot.

Technically the package looks fine, it builds cleanly in a sid chroot.
Lintian has one pedantic warning:
P: stumpwm: copyright-refers-to-symlink-license
usr/share/common-licenses/GPL
You may want to change that to GPL-2.

I faced some problems in using the package.  Initially, both clisp and
sbcl would complain about "Component 'stumpwm' not found".  I eventually
found out that I needed a symlink:
/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/stumpwm.asd ->
/usr/share/common-lisp/source/stumpwm/stumpwm.asd

I presume the package was meant to set this link up itself, but for some
reason it didn't.  I installed it using 'dpkg -i' after building it with
'debuild'.

You might want to use DEP-3 for patches.
Consider updating your DEP-5 formatting:
  Format-Specification -> Format
  Upstream-Source -> Source
  Upstream-Maintainer -> Upstream-Contact
And you need to expand the short name for the license GPL-3+.

Once I had set up the symlink, I was able to load and use stumpwm
successfully with both SBCL and CLISP.

I would give you some more detailed feedback on using the package, but
at the moment I am using stumpwm with GNOME 3 (in fallback mode) and my
configuration -- which is pretty fragile -- was broken.  I believe this
is because upstream git defaults to compiling an SBCL image as a binary,
which has a marginally faster startup time.  Because the packaged
version of stumpwm loads slightly slower, GNOME is (most times!) able to
load its panel first, causing Stumpwm to load on top of it, which breaks
the ability to use the GNOME panel.  [Suggestions welcome, I don't
consider this a bug in the stump package because using stump with the
GNOME panel seems to be quite a bizarre and non-recommended
configuration.  I have been meaning to migrate away from it but didn't
get the time.]

Thanks for your work on stumpwm!

Cheers,
David