Re: Where to place man-pages, when building multiple packages

On 2011-11-10 11:55, Arno Töll wrote:
> Hi,
> On 10.11.2011 10:01, Björn Esser wrote:
>> jailkit  --  here go all the c-binaries
>> jailkit-common  --  here go python-scripts, manpages, other no-arch
>
> why? Wouldn't it make slightly more sense to put the manpage where the
> corresponding executables lie in? That would also solve your problem.
>
> Also I do not see any benefit in splitting your package after all. You
> do not seem to provide any alternative to jailkit (the binary package is
> meant here), hence there is no "common" gound to share with another
> binary package. What's the size of the common package? Unless your
> arch:all data is huge you shouldn't be splitting it.

Hey,

If you need an architecture independent package anyway, putting the
manpage in there saves a little space on the mirrors, so you might as
well do it[1].  People have been doing this for years as far as I
know[2], so I guess either way makes sense as long as the
architecture-dependent package has a strict dependency on the
architecture independent package.

~Niels

[1] I know, this is most likely a "tiny" amount.

[2] The bug requesting lintian to support this is nearly 10 years old today.