Re: Need assistance in packaging / Brauche Hilfe bei der Erstellung von Paketen

Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT) wrote...

> Hi Björn,
>
> Maybe someone else can give you more details, but in the meantime here
> are some useful links (which should have more than enough information
> to get you started if you're already familiar with packaging):
>
> 2011/11/7 Björn Esser <bjoern.esser@googlemail.com>:
> > how to write/create man-pages
>
> See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/SupplementaryFiles#Man_Pages.

nroff is rather complex and error-prone. Therefore I suggest using POD
to write manpages although this is frowned upon, hence there's no
dh_installpod, hence debian/rules becomes ugly if you want acceptable
manpages from POD.

And this document recommends the usage of cdbs, something I wouldn't
do anymore.

> > one source in multiple packages (e.g. somewhat (arch),
> > somewhat-doc(no-arch), somewhat-data (no-arch), etc.), removing
> > obsolete/not used files from the package
>
> I've found http://wiki.debian.org/PkgSplit, but that page lets it look
> much more scary than it actually is.

To me it looks really scary. Nowaday when debian/rules can be as terse
as

    #!/usr/bin/make -f
    %:
	dh $@

I'd only recommend instructions that are based on that "debhelper 7"
mechanism. Everything else should be seen as legacy, nothing to show
to beginners.

By the way, I'm looking for a straightforward way using debhelper7 to
do upstream's triple-jump (./configure ; make ; make install) to
create a set of binary packages from a single source package. Only the
configure options are different, and of course I'll have to override
dh_auto_configure. At the moment, overrides for dh_auto_configure,
dh_auto_build, dh_auto_test, and dh_auto_clean are required, too. With
an unpleasant result.

    Christoph