Re: [RFH] libxmlezout : out of date on many archs

Hi!

Am 08.11.2011 15:09, schrieb Xavier Grave:

> I have uploaded one of the packages I maintain and in the PTS [1] I have
> many out of date on i386 and so on messages. It seems that was the
> reason why the previous version (1.01.1-4) didn't reach testing.
>
> Since I don't understand this problem, I don't know how can I solve it.
>
> Any help, advices, url welcome,
>
> Thanks in advance, xavier
> [1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/libx/libxmlezout.html

Ha, that's a tricky one.  First guess would have been:  Not yet build on
all archs, however looking at [1] (also linked from the qa site) show's
all archs (but hurd) are build successfully and in the archive.

So look again at the qa page:  It says "out of date on i386:
libxmlezout0, libxmlezout1-dev (from 1.06-2)".  It seems you recently
droped these two packages.  They are still in wheezy and used there, so
your package can't migrate without the old packages being removed.

That's job of the ftp-team, and usually you don't have to care about
that, as the ftp-team get's notified about this cruft, and tries to
remove it.  See [2] for the current "Cruft report" which also mentiones
your package.

As said:  Normally the ftp-team does that for you, and you don't have to
do anything special.  However, in this case the ftp-team could do
anything about it.  When trying to remove your old package, one sees the
following (AFAIK you could try that out on ries.debian.org, if you are
an DD, if not "apt-cache rdepends" might help you):

Checking reverse dependencies...
# Broken Depends:
liblog4ada: liblog4ada1-dev
narval: libnarval-dbg [amd64 i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386
powerpc s390 sparc]
        libnarval1-dev [amd64 i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386
powerpc s390 sparc]
        libnarval1.10.1 [amd64 i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386
powerpc s390 sparc]
        narval-generic-actors [amd64 i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64
kfreebsd-i386 powerpc s390 sparc]
        narval-servers [amd64 i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386
powerpc s390 sparc]
        narval-tests-actors [amd64 i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64
kfreebsd-i386 powerpc s390 sparc]

# Broken Build-Depends:
liblog4ada: libxmlezout1-dev
narval: libxmlezout1-dev

So, your package can't be removed, because that would break other
packages.  Brolen Depends can usually be solved by requesting binary
NMUs (binNMUs).  AFAIK that's easiest done with bug against the
release.debian.org apckage.  Broken Build-Depends usually means that you
have to tell the maintainers of these packages to fix their packages.
Once they are uploaded, the old package may be removed, and may migrate
to testing.  Also note that you don't have to request binNMUs, if the
package needs a sourceful upload anyway.

1: https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=libxmlezout
2: http://ftp-master.debian.org/cruft-report-daily.txt

Best regards,
  Alexander