Adopt an abandoned ITP?

Hi,

There is a package I desperately want in Debian and there already is an ITP
for it that is almost a year old. There wasn't any activity on it except that
the author reverted the automatic ITP -> RFP conversion after 6 monts of
inactivity. I did write to the bug-author a few days ago if he still intends
to package it but haven't received a response yet.

So in general: What is appropriate the procedure in adopting such a bug? I
don't want to 'hijack' anything. How long should I wait for a response from
the author? Should I file a new bug or change the owner of the old one?

greetings, Mati

--
me on twitter: @mathiasertl | soup: http://soup.er.tl
I only read plain-text mail!  I prefer signed/encrypted mail!