Re: my upstream's package contains a font.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 4:57 AM, Paul Elliott
<pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> wrote:

> Help, my upstream package contains a font.
>
> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/maitreya/MaitreyaSymbols6.ttf
>
> this font is highly specialized and unlikely to be used by any other package.
>
> lintian says I must split off a font package.
>
>> I: maitreya: font-in-non-font-package
>> usr/share/fonts/truetype/maitreya/MaitreyaSymbols6.ttf N:
>> N:    This package contains a *.ttf, *.otf, or *.pfb file, file extensions
>> N:    used by TrueType, OpenType, or Type 1 fonts, but the package does not
>> N:    appear to be a dedicated font package. Dedicated font package names
>> N:    should begin with ttf-, otf-, or t1-, depending on the types of fonts
>> N:    included. (Type 1 fonts are also allowed in packages starting with
>> N:    xfonts-.) If the font is already packaged, you should depend on that
>> N:    package instead. Otherwise, normally the font should be packaged
>> N:    separately, since fonts are usually useful outside of the package
>> that N:    embeds them.
>> N:
>> N:    Severity: wishlist, Certainty: possible
>> N:

This tag actually needs to be updated. Font packages are now supposed
to begin with fonts- I just sent a patch to the Lintian maintainers.
See: http://wiki.debian.org/Fonts/PackagingPolicy

> In any case, if I must split out a font package, how do I do it? Are there any
> examples out there?

Without looking at your package I can only give you a general idea.
Most likely it is as simple as:

Create a new binary stanza in debian/control for fonts-maitreya. This
stanza should contain "Section: fonts" along with the normal fields.

Create a debain/fonts-maitreya.install file with the contents:

usr/share/fonts/truetype/maitreya/MaitreyaSymbols6.ttf

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

   Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>
   Debian Maintainer
<http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=a.starr.b%40gmail.com>