Re: git-buildpackage and tarballs

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 16:53:31 -0500, Matt Zagrabelny wrote:

> Hi,

Hello Matt,
(CCing you, I don't know whether you're subscribed or not).

> [..]
>
> It seems like it should be possible to use gbp to build the package
> without having an actual tar ball. However, it appears that it is not.

I think your problem might be that your "upstream branch" is not called
"upstream", which is what gbp expects.

I suggest you to create a debian/gbp.conf with the following contents:

[DEFAULT]
upstream-branch = <yourname>
debian-branch = debian

Then it will probably work :) (not tested though)

> I'm thinking of some pseudo commands such as the following:
>
> git tag 1.0
> git checkout debian
> git-buildpackage --using-tag 1.0
>
> I know that gbp does not have the 'using-tag' option, but again, is
> there a reason that it cannot exist?

gbp has something similar already.
In the gbp.conf above, you can add:

[git-buildpackage]
upstream-tree = tag

This way, gbp will look for a tag named the same as the version you have in
debian/changelog. Probably you will have to tweak the "upstream-tag" option too.

Have a look at /etc/git-buildpackage/gbp.conf , it's a nice reading ;)

David

--
 . ''`.   Debian developer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino
 `. `'`  GPG: 1392B174 ----|---- http://deb.li/dapal