Re: Python build dependencies

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 20:43:35 +0200, Guido van Steen wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I maintain a package called fizsh. Fizsh only depends on zsh.
>
> [..]
>
> If I build the package with "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us" I
> get the following warning:
>
> "dh_pysupport: This program is deprecated, you should use dh_python2
> instead. Migration guide: http://deb.li/dhs2p";
>
> It is not completely clear to me why get this warning. Why do I do not
> need Python to build the package? Is python needed for debhelper? In
> that case should python not be included as a build-depend as well?

Don't worry: dh_pysupport is run automatically by dh -- if you're not
installing things in PYTHONPATH, it does nothing. And no, you won't get a
python dependency with it :)

> http://deb.li/dhs2p recommends that I add  "--with python2" to my
> "./debian/rules". Is that enough, or should I include python as a
> build-depend in "./debian/control" as well?
>
> Where can I read about what should be listed as a build-depend, and
> the reasons why?

You shouldn't add "--with python2", and your Build-Depends is perfectly fine.

Try to build your package in a clean chroot: you'll probably won't have that
message anymore.

Kindly,
David

--