Re: RFS: lacewing

Hi Helmut, thanks for taking a look.

On 10/10/11 07:04, Helmut Grohne wrote:
> This is a nice upstream version number, but your Debian packaging needs
> a Debian revision.

OK - I changed the version to 0.2.5-1 (and renamed the packages to `liblacewing`) :-

  http://mentors.debian.net/package/liblacewing
  dget -x http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/libl/liblacewing/liblacewing_0.2.5-1.dsc

> Are you aware that networking is a broad field? apt-cache search network
> lib gives me about 750 packages. There is plenty of room for improvement
> here. Especially when looking at the long description, which basically
> says nothing.

True.  I've extended the long description a little for now, and I'll see if
I can think of something better to put there.

> You added a patch to your upstream README. 90% of the patch are useless
> boiler plate. Maybe you can explain your changes and clean that
> boiler plate?
>
> Your Standards-Version is out of date. Please always develop on Debian
> sid, so these mistakes do not happen. You would have found this problem
> had you run (sid) lintian on your package.
>
> Side note: Your debian/control file contains trailing whitespace.
>
> Your copyright file contains a link "url://lacewing-project.org". I have
> never heared of a "url" protocol.
>
> Even though your copyright file clarifies the author of the Debian
> packaging, it does not explicitly state the license.
>
> While we're at it: You might want to have a look at the new copyright
> format http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/. Note that using this format is
> *not* required.

Thanks - I've resolved all of the above, and changed the copyright file to the
dep5 format (the previous one was just whatever dephelper generated).

> Your debian/rules file also contains boiler plate such as
> "# Sample debian/rules that uses debhelper."
>
> As far as I can see you do not install the examples from the examples
> directory into the -dev package. Why?

I agree this would be useful - I'll probably add it to the upstream Makefile.

James McLaughlin