Re: RFS: lacewing

IANADD, so I cannot upload.

On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 04:54:54PM +0100, James McLaughlin wrote:
> I'm looking for a sponsor for my package "lacewing".
>
>  * Package name    : lacewing
>    Version         : 0.2.4

This is a nice upstream version number, but your Debian packaging needs
a Debian revision.

>  lacewing   - Cross-platform networking library for C and C++
>  lacewing-dev - Cross platform networking for C and C++ (development
> files)

Are you aware that networking is a broad field? apt-cache search network
lib gives me about 750 packages. There is plenty of room for improvement
here. Especially when looking at the long description, which basically
says nothing.

> dget -x http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/lacewing/lacewing_0.2.4.dsc

You added a patch to your upstream README. 90% of the patch are useless
boiler plate. Maybe you can explain your changes and clean that
boiler plate?

Your Standards-Version is out of date. Please always develop on Debian
sid, so these mistakes do not happen. You would have found this problem
had you run (sid) lintian on your package.

Side note: Your debian/control file contains trailing whitespace.

Your copyright file contains a link "url://lacewing-project.org". I have
never heared of a "url" protocol.

Even though your copyright file clarifies the author of the Debian
packaging, it does not explicitly state the license.

While we're at it: You might want to have a look at the new copyright
format http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/. Note that using this format is
*not* required.

Your debian/rules file also contains boiler plate such as
"# Sample debian/rules that uses debhelper."

As far as I can see you do not install the examples from the examples
directory into the -dev package. Why?

Helmut