Re: Package separation/naming conventions

* Ole Streicher <debian-devel@liska.ath.cx>, 2011-09-22, 09:51:
- libwcs4 and libwcs4-dev
- libpgsbox4 and libpgsbox4-dev

First of all, don't version your -dev package(s), unless you want to keep multiple versions of it in the archive at the same people. (You probably don't.) Also, unless there's good reason to separate -dev package, I'd create just a single one.

So I would just create a common wcslib-dev package, correct?

And, which dependencies should the wcslib-dev package have?

A -dev package should have a strict versioned dependency on all the shared libraries it provides .so symlink for.

libpgsbox.a would contain references to pgplot5; which is non-free, old and ugly.

Wait, you link *statically* to a non-free library? That'd make your binary package contain non-free bits, and as a consequence the whole source package would have to go to non-free.

Also, now I notices that (at least according to your ITP), libwcs is licensed under the GPLv3+. We can't legally distribute GPLed software linked (statically or dynamically) to non-free stuff!

Or is the link here made with the "suggests/enhances" dependency? And what would then suggest what? libwcs4-dev suggests wcslib-doc, or vice versa?
You can use both. Or none. Users will find out which package they need anyway, so don't worry about it. :)

How would they do that?

"apt-cache search"? :)

--
Jakub Wilk