Re: How to startx inside a pbuilder-managed chroot?

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 12:15:17AM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 02:42:54 +0900 Osamu Aoki wrote:
> I thought I could use a virtual machine, like, say, kvm, but there's a
> problem, it seems.
>
> If I understand correctly, with kvm, the guest system runs on a virtual
> machine with virtual hardware that is not identical to the actual
> hardware the host system runs on.

Correct :-)  That is usually good enough environment if you were looking
for evaluationg unstable/experimental gnome packages.  But it seems you
want more.

> The most important tests I have to perform involve the
> xserver-xorg-video-intel package: I need to run Intel video drivers
> on an Intel integrated graphics chip, with DRI 3D acceleration
> activated. If kvm makes the guest system see an emulated video card,
> the guest system won't run Intel video drivers, and I won't be able
> to reproduce the bugs...

If this is the case, then do not bother any fancy ways.  You do not want
to waste your time debugging virtual environment systems.  Just create a
dual (or multi) boot environment.  One. your main development platform.
The other small partition as your evaluation environment.  I would even
suggest you to keep disk image of system testing environment so you can
always reset it.

> Did I misunderstand something?
> May I run Intel video drivers on my actual hardware from inside a kvm
> virtual machine?

Maybe but why make things too complicated.  If you need to ask (also I
need to ask), it means this is not good baseline configuration we want
to base your work.  Creating dual boot is quite simple with grub as long
as you have extra disk space.  If you have time, you may look into
debian live CD/USB.  Then you can always create a toss-away system to
evaluate your driver.

Good luck.

Osamu