Re: RFS: cvsconnect (QA upload) [new package]

Jeroen Schot <schot@A-Eskwadraat.nl> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 07:56:16PM +0200, Gergely Nagy wrote:
>> Jeroen Schot <schot@A-Eskwadraat.nl> writes:
>> > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 01:07:28PM +0200, Sven Hoexter wrote:
>> I'd mention the CVS repo in debian/copyright. A dead link, however
>> historical it may be, is fairly useless.
>
> I have to disagree with you here. The point of mentioning the source
> of a package in debian/copyright is to document it's origin. The
> original source URL can still be useful in combination with services
> such as The Wayback Machine[1].

In that case, I would've suggested a link to the wayback machine, so
that the link is something that exists at the time of upload. Not
something that's known to be gone, and can only be unearthed via the
wayback machine or similar services.

In my interpretation, the Source field should document where the sources
can be obtained from at the time of packaging, not some other place that
disappeared years ago, even if that was the original source.

Or, since one can include free-form explanation in the Source field
aswell, it can be mentioned that CVS is available, but it used to be
here-and-here. That way you document both the original source, and a
place where it's still available from.