Re: RFS: open-axiom

Hi, David.

Thanks for your reply.

I have fixed all lintian issues, except two:
1.  image-file-in-usr-lib (e. g. usr/lib/open-axiom/share/hypertex/bitmaps/anna_logo.xbm)
2.  unusual-interpreter + script-not-executable (e. g. usr/lib/open-axiom/algebra/D02EJFA.fasl)

The first one requires deep patching of OpenAxiom sources,
and is a part of more general problem, which I will address to upstream.
(this problems was partially solved specially for Debian in SVN commmit #2299.)
If it absolutely necessary, it can be solved by symlink.

The second is a feature of SBCL: *.fasl files are compiled lisp code,
and they must have a special header. Changing shebang makes SBCL core unhappy:
   >> System error:
   #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file /usr/lib/open-axiom/algebra/INTFACT.fasl"
  {100528D291}>
contains an illegal byte in the FASL header at position 0: Expected 35, got 10.

The history of changes: https://github.com/ip1981/open-axiom-debian/commits/master/

As for relationship between OpenAxiom and Axiom,
AFAIK:
* OpenAxiom continues to use language Boot
* OpenAxiom going away from literate programming
* OpenAxiom uses C++ where Axiom uses shell, OpenAxiom uses autotools, thus
OpenAxiom is more portable, e. g. it has  Windows version.
* OpenAxiom has very responsive maintainers,
when I worked on my book on Axiom, on gentoo ebuild, on Debian package,
all my questions were answered, all found issues were resolved nearly in real time :-)

2011/8/23 David Bremner <bremner@debian.org>
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 19:54:42 +0400, Игорь Пашев <pashev.igor@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "open-axiom".
>
>  * Package name    : open-axiom
>    Version         : 1.4.1+svn~2299-1

Hi Igor;

Thanks for working on this, and for making a source package. You package
builds OK, but it has many lintian errors (attached). You will need to
fix most of these before the package is likely to be uploaded. Be sure
to run a recent version of lintian, as it is changing fairly quickly
these days.  Also, I think it would be helpful if you could explain the
relationship between axiom (maintainer in CC), which is already shipped
in Debian and open-axiom.  Does Debian need both? It's fine if they both
have something to offer, but if one supercedes the other, then that
could mean less work all around.

All the best,

David