Re: How do I create a symbols file?

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 04:57:45 -0500, Paul Elliott wrote:
lintian -I says I should create a symbols file.

But Debian Library Packaging guide nor Debian New Maintainers' Guide
tells me exactly how to create such a file or how to name it.

Neither does UsingSymbolsFiles
http://wiki.debian.org/UsingSymbolsFiles
it just says be carefull about it!

I am packaging this library for the first time and I am probably the
first to
build it with libtool. So I probably don't have to worry about previous versions. But some day my work will be the previous version, so I want to do
this correctly.

The .c files proably have some global symbols that are not in the public interface. The inteface includes global varriables. (I did not write this
program.)

What should I do?

Hi Paul,

take a look in the dpkg-gensymbols manpage. Is very clear.

dpkg-gensymbols -p<package>

Probably you could make some changes, like the output file, the "~" character, ...

Regards.

kix