Re: RFS: assimp

On 08/19/2011 03:22 AM, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> * Michael Tautschnig <mt@debian.org>, 2011-08-19, 00:31:
>> some missing copyright information
>
> DEP-5-enabled lintian (see bug #633779) also reports several issues:
>
> W: assimp source: missing-field-in-dep5-copyright paragraph 20 copyright
> W: assimp source: comma-separated-files-in-dep5-copyright
> W: assimp source: missing-license-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright paragraph
> 32 public domain
> W: assimp source: missing-license-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright paragraph
> 32 free for use however you like credits are appreciated!!!
> W: assimp source: missing-license-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright paragraph
> 32 reuse allowed for any purpose credits appreciated.
> W: assimp source: missing-license-paragraph-in-dep5-copyright paragraph
> 32 redistribution

ah thanks.
i thought i could do the short route and add the license text directly
into the "Files" paragraph (since they are so short)

i guess i will have to create "License" paragraphs then.

>> I'm neither an expert on python nor D packaging, hence I'll leave this
>> bit to others.
>
> I think you could drop build-dependency on python-dev.

those are pulled in by cdbs' automatic dependency handling.
i will think about it.

> I would consider stricter dependency between python-pyassimp and
> libassimp2. (It doesn't matter for the time being, but it might become a
> problem in the future.)

good idea.

> Shared library loading mechanism is utterly broken:

> ['/usr/lib/']
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyassimp/pyassimp.py", line
> 167, in <module>
>     class AssimpLib(object):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyassimp/pyassimp.py", line
> 171, in AssimpLib
>     load, release, dll = helper.search_library()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/pyassimp/helper.py", line 103,
> in search_library
>     raise AssimpError, "assimp library not found"
> pyassimp.errors.AssimpError: assimp library not found

hmm, it worked for me...:-(
trying to find words to ask you how and what, i think i found the reason:
pyassimp looks for /usr/lib/libassimp.so which is only provided by
libassimp-dev  (which i most likely had installed when testing)
since the findmechanism in pyassimp for dlopen() is rather simplistic, i
guess this is the reason why it fails.

thanks for pointing that out.

> Also, why did it print stuff on stdout? :/

ask upstream :-)
Q: as a packager, am i supposed to fix such things?

thanks for the review

fmgasdr
IOhannes