Re: RFS: assimp

Hi,

> Dear mentors, sponsors and fellow Debianistas,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "assimp".
>
> * Package name    : assimp
>    Version         : 2.0.863~dfsg-1
>    Upstream Author : ASSIMP Development team
>  * URL             : http://assimp.sf.net
>  * License         : BSD (3-clause)
>    Section         : graphics

Thanks a lot for looking into packaging this software. Definitively not the
easiest one...

[...]
> the package uses cdbs for packaging.

If you must.

> the package has been repackaged to strip away non-dfsg parts from
> upstream tarball.

I'm wondering whether it would make sense to remove other cruft as well -
basically contrib/ entirely and workspaces could go as well. And, well, I think
+dfsg would be preferable over ~dfsg, but you might have good reasons for your
choice?

> i someone would be willing to have a look at it, i would be very
> thankful. i would especially like to hear comments on the following topics:
> - repackaging (for dfsg-compliancy)

See above. Plus some missing copyright information: please check code/pstdint.h,
code/BoostWorkaround/boost/tuple/tuple.hpp, code/MDCNormalTable.h. Remove the
LGPL'ed code from tools/assimp_view/ or make upstream ship a proper license.
This is a requirement of LGPL 4b), which I believe is what applies here.
Obviously debian/assimp-utils.lintian-overrides then isn't needed anymore.

> - the debian/libassimp2.symbols file

Please consider using the c++ tag after having applied c++filt; see several
recent threads on debian-mentors, e.g., [1].

> - python bindings package
> - D bindings package
> - ...

I'm neither an expert on python nor D packaging, hence I'll leave this bit to
others. Yet I do have further comments:

- Package FTBFS:

 dpkg-source -b assimp-2.0.863~dfsg
dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: info: building assimp using existing ./assimp_2.0.863~dfsg.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: error: unwanted binary file: debian/copyright_hints
dpkg-source: error: detected 1 unwanted binary file (add it in debian/source/include-binaries to allow its inclusion).

- Upstream seems to ship tests; it would be nice if those were run at build
  time. (But using Debian's cppunit, not the home-grown one in contrib/.)

Hope this helps,
Michael

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2011/07/msg00632.html