Re: Using dh to build >1 binary package with different configure options

Tony Houghton <h@realh.co.uk> writes:

> I'm pretty sure I once read something about how to get a single source
> package to build multiple binary packages from the same source with
> different configure options. Unfortunately I can't remember what I read
> and it didn't apply to dh anyway. Can anyone recommend a guide to doing
> this with dh?

If you're using short form dh, this would be one way to do it:

override_dh_auto_configure:
	install -d debian/build-gtk2
	cd debian/build-gtk2 && ../../configure --with-gtk2
	install -d debian/build-gtk3
	cd debian/build-gtk3 && ../../configure --with-gtk3

override_dh_auto_build:
	cd debian/build-gtk2 && make
	cd debian/build-gtk3 && make

override_dh_auto_install:
	cd debian/build-gtk2 && make install DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/pkg-gtk2
	cd debian/build-gtk3 && make install DESTDIR=$(CURDIR)/debian/pkg-gtk3

And from this point on, it's just standard dh.

If it's long-form debhelper, then instead of the overrides, do something
similar in your configure, build and install targets.

There might be nicer ways to do the same thing, but this is already
fairly straightforward, in my opinion.