Using dh to build >1 binary package with different configure options

A new release of roxterm is in the pipeline. I've made a lot of changes,
mostly to replace libglade with GtkBuilder and to get it to work with
gtk3. I'd ideally like to call it version 2 and have the clear
distinction that version 1 was for gtk2 and version 2 is for gtk3.
However, I suspect a lot of users would not be happy with switching to
gtk3 yet, especially users of xfwm4 and kwin (and others?) due to bug
#632403.

gtk2/3 can be selected as a configure option. I don't mind continuing to
support both for now, but I'd like to look to the future and make sure
the gtk3-specific code is well tested as early as possible while still
supporting people who want to stick with gtk2. Therefore I'd like to
create two packages from the same source, eg "roxterm" (gtk2) and
"roxterm2" (gtk3). Or would it be better to rename both of them and make
"roxterm" a meta package which depends on one or the other? They'd share
a number of files, eg the .ui (formerly .glade) file, graphics and
documentation; should I make a roxterm-data/roxterm-common package for
these?

Does all this sound like a good idea, or too complex to be worth it?

I'm pretty sure I once read something about how to get a single source
package to build multiple binary packages from the same source with
different configure options. Unfortunately I can't remember what I read
and it didn't apply to dh anyway. Can anyone recommend a guide to doing
this with dh?