Re: RFS: ndpmon

Hi John,

On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 18:23 -0400, John R. Baskwill wrote:
> Now that I have the correct version of lintian, things look better.  I
> have upload a new version of the ndpmon package.  I changed the
> version back to 1.4.0-1 because I was told I shouldn't change the
> version number if this was the initial release of the package.  Thanks
> for all of the help.

thanks for the update.

While reading into your package I'm wondering about:

1.) ndpmon.init:
	- DAEMON and INIT must be defined in /etc/default/ndpmon. I doubt
that's a good default. You should define fall-back defaults in the init
script too

	- you background start-stop-daemon during starting yet try to evaluate
its return value. I doubt that's a good combination. Moreover you have a
added sleep without any useful value IMHO as the return code is pulled
before the sleep anyway.

	- during stop you unconditionally cat a PIDFILE without checking it
exists and run kill on the outcome. A better solution would be something
like PID=$(ps -C $DAEMON -o pid=) and check if that's not empty and kill
that (or check if that's equal to the PIDFILE and kill it then).

	- status should check PIDFILE and/or something like the ps -C $DAEMON
and report based on that.

	  I'd recommend you check the manpage of ps for further options you may
see fit.

	- exit $? at the end is very likely to not match what you intended to
use as exit status. Maybe you should

2.) Patches:
	- there is no need to modify Makefile to delete config.log and
config.status unless you want to report this back to upstream (which is
not indicated in the header). From a Debian POV debian/clean and/or
debian/rules will do (and should be used preferred)

	- I'm not sure install.patch is needed. You can as well use debian/tmp
as DESTDIR and move files from there using dh_install I guess. Reporting
the fixes back upstream seem to make sense yet there again is no
indication this was done.

	- spelling errors - again look useful, but please make sure they don't
remain in Debian's archive alone but are included upstream.

3.) debian/rules template header can be omited.

    as autotools-dev are already in Build-Depends (which is good) they
should also be activated in debian/rules (using --with autotools_dev)

4.) Fetching http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui_public.txt.

    OUCH! There is no internet access guaranteed during building a
package. That means this is quite likely to fail.

    Moreover:
Fetching http://www.cavebear.com/CaveBear/Ethernet.txt
Error fetching http://www.cavebear.com/CaveBear/Ethernet/Ethernet.txt:
404 Not Found

    N.b. there is an attempt to make a shared package for that. See e.g.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=481299 for details and
more bugs numbers. Please try to use that package (once avail) or an
offline copy in the meantime.

5.) Rebuilding your package twice in a row produces a Debian patch:
dpkg-source: info: local changes stored in
ndpmon-1.4.0/debian/patches/debian-changes-1.4.0-1, the modified files
are:
 ndpmon-1.4.0/Makefile
 ndpmon-1.4.0/config_ndpmon.xml
 ndpmon-1.4.0/ndpmon.sh
 ndpmon-1.4.0/ndpmon_defs.h
 ndpmon-1.4.0/neighbor_list.xml
 ndpmon-1.4.0/plugins/countermeasures/Makefile
 ndpmon-1.4.0/plugins/mac_resolv/Makefile
dpkg-source: info: building ndpmon in ndpmon_1.4.0-1.debian.tar.gz

6.) You still ship source files in your binary package like:
./usr/lib/ndpmon/plugins/mac_resolv/mac_resolv.c
./usr/lib/ndpmon/plugins/mac_resolv/mac_resolv.h
./usr/lib/ndpmon/plugins/mac_resolv/Makefile.in
./usr/lib/ndpmon/plugins/countermeasures/icmp_lib_nd.c
./usr/lib/ndpmon/plugins/countermeasures/countermeasures.c
./usr/lib/ndpmon/plugins/countermeasures/countermeasures.h
./usr/lib/ndpmon/plugins/countermeasures/icmp_lib_nd.h
./usr/lib/ndpmon/plugins/countermeasures/icmp_lib.c
./usr/lib/ndpmon/plugins/countermeasures/Makefile.in
./usr/lib/ndpmon/plugins/countermeasures/icmp_lib.h
./usr/lib/ndpmon/plugins/countermeasures/countermeasures_on_link.h
./usr/lib/ndpmon/plugins/countermeasures/countermeasures_guard.h

Sorry!

--
Best regards,
Kilian