Re: Doubt about library version

On 2011-08-03 11:28, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [...]
>> the wmaker package includes some libraries in the upstream source.
>> One of this libraries includes some files (WMaker.h and libMaker.*).
>> This files are not in the source tree now (were removed from the git
>> because they are not longer needed). Therefore, the package
>> libwmaker0-dev doesn't include any files (only the documentation
>> files README.debian,...), and then the package should not be
>> included in future versions. I need to do something in the debian
>> folder files?
>>

> As a very first step you need to check for reverse depends, for instance by
> doing
>
> apt-cache showpkg libwmaker0-dev
>
> (on a sid system!). If no "Reverse Dependencies" are reported, you can remove
> the package from your control file, upload a new version, and then file a
> removal request. For much more information please see
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/ftpmaster_Removals
>
> Best,
> Michael

"""
$ build-rdeps libwmaker0-dev
[...]
Reverse Build-depends in main:

wterm
fsviewer

Found a total of 2 reverse build-depend(s) for libwmaker0-dev.
[...]
"""

Btw, I am not certain an explicit removal request is needed if the
package will still build at least one binary.  The ftp-masters have an
"auto-decrufter" should catch this case.

~Niels