Re: RFS: Sponsor needed for pmwiki

Hi Robert,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 01:35:15PM +0200, Robert Strobl wrote:
> Hello Thomas,
>
> thank you for your feedback.
> Some remarks to the following points:
>
> >* In your debian/postinst script, you are making the assumption that
> >there's already apache installed, and a group www-data that is
> >created.
> >That might well not be the case, considering your dependencies.
>
> www-data is a user in the default passwd file and is used by any web
> server
> in Debian. So it does not restrict the use of apache.
>
> >* Please don't package docs/INSTALL.txt in the binary package of
> >pmwiki,
> >because it doesn't fit Debian anymore. Best would be to write your own
> >DEBIAN.Readme to tell the administrator what to do to bring pmwiki up
> >and running on a Debian system and package that one instead.
>
> docs/INSTALL.txt is not packaged. It is ignored in the install routine
> of the Makefile. Is it probably a more common way to write a patch
> that deletes it?

If "make install" would install docs/INSTALL.txt that may be true it'd need
fixing. Otherwise, just don't list that file in $package.docs or don't put the
entire docs folder into $package.install. No need to invent a patch for
that. A simple "rm" in debian/rules will do if you can't tame upstream's
logic from installing it - which I doubt is the case.

The file debian/README.Debian will be installed automatically if exists and
should contain information on why the binary package is the way it is and
how to use it. If you want to convey special information on the source put
that into debian/README.source.

> >* Also, please setup a link like this: ln -s /usr/share/pmwiki/locale
> >/etc/pmwiki, so that configuration is made inside /etc/pmwiki and
> >not in
> >/usr/share anymore.
>
> I guess you mean "ln -s /etc/pmwiki /usr/share/pmwiki/local". That is
> already done in the debian/postinst script.

No, please read the above argument again. Your true config files should
reside in /etc as /usr may be read-only and shared among machines according
to FHS convention.

> >* By the way, you have the following debhelper issue (shown by
> >lintian):
> >W: pmwiki source: debhelper-but-no-misc-depends pmwiki
> >Please add ${misc:Depends} as dependency of pmwiki
>
> Strange, my lintian shows me that the package is clean. Will check
> that :)

Maybe not using unstable lintian or maybe not -I --pedantic? ;-)

--
Best regards,
Kilian