Re: RFS: Sponsor needed for pmwiki

Hi,

I just finished updating the package. Sorry for the delay!
I hope that I could realize all your feedback as you wished :)
Please find the updated version at: http://share.gloriabyte.de/pmwiki/

Best regards,
Robert

Am 05.07.2011 um 14:24 schrieb Thomas Goirand:

On 07/04/2011 09:17 AM, Strobl, Robert wrote:
I need a sponsor for:

Package name: pmwiki
Version: 2.2.27
Upstream Author: Patrick R. Michaud
License: GPL

The relevant files can be found at http://share.gloriabyte.de/pmwiki/

This would close: #330117, #471816, #508725

Best regards,
Robert

Hi,

I 100% love pmwiki. I use and abuse it. I'll review your package and
sponsor it for sure.

Now, I just had a look to the remarks by Arno Toll, and I agree with
(most of) them.

Please clean the package and let us know when it is ready.

Here's few remarks on the remarks of Arno:

+ Instead of your dependency line "apache2 | lighttpd" you probably
want to depend on the httpd-cgi virtual package [2] instead, and give a
preference if you wish.

I'd rather say: don't depend AT ALL on a web server. This is very annoying
in some situations, and it's not your job to decide, but the one of the
administrator. I have a situation here where I am using php5-cgi with no
web server at all (because it's in a chroot), and having a dependency on
a web server is *very* annoying.

+ Finally php-fastcgi seems wrong to me unless you actually depend on
Lighttpd or any other (Fast-)CGI compatible web server. For Apache you
maybe want to depend on libapache2-mod-php5 instead, since this is what
most people are using for PHP when using Apache.

Again, it's not your job to select a flavor for PHP. You just should
depend on
the largest possible choice, so maybe something like:

"libapache2-mod-php5 | php5-cgi"

would do.

* You debian/copyright contains the full URL, i.e. the direct link to
the origin package. Its not wrong to do so, but keep in mind you have to
update this for every upload. Generally its fine enough to point to the
upstream homepage there. There is also DEP-5 [6] which is perhaps the
way to go for future packages. This not required though.

While dep5 isn't required by Debian, it is required by *me* when I sponsor
a package. So please use that format.

* Your package contains GIF files. There are some discussions whether
they fall into the "preferred form for modification" rule as they are
binary data [14]. However I believe for your use case its fine to
package them. Maybe someone else may comment on  this.

If there are some ways to generate the GIF files from some other source
code, then yes, it should be done this way. Otherwise, GIF files can be
considered "upstream source" as well. Since the GIF patent expired, GIF
aren't less good than PNG or others, and it's ok to use them.

* Your package is not lintian clean (this shouldn't suprise you):

Yes. Please use lintian and check that you clean absolutely ALL of the
issues
that lintian is pointing at. Remember to use the -Ii flags when calling
it, so
it shows really all.

Thomas Goirand (zigo)