Re: RFS: cmsmadesimple

Hi again,

[...]
> > One suggestion for the package install procedure, though: why do you first
> > install all the files and afterwards remove them again via an override in
> > debian/rules? Wouldn't it be much cleaner to only install the desired files?
> >

> I preferred this method for a couple of reasons, firstly because I think the
> code for installing all of the folders separately would be much bigger and also
> because this makes the packaging a bit less error prone. If I do all of the
> install in the .install file, I would have to have a lot of lines (because I
> have to omit the translation files and the shared libs) and if upstream adds any
> files or folders, these might not get included without changing the install file.

[...]

I do agree that this incurs some risk. With the use of wildcards, however, I'm
not quite sure whether the .install file will really be more complicated: you're
now spending > 60 lines in your debian/rules file on removing files (including
comments, though).

My concern is a security-related one: yes, your package might break if you fail
to install a newly-added file. But it will be completely broken. On the other
hand, if you fail to remove a newly-added file that unfortunately contains some
security problem which would have been already addressed in the system version
of that file, this problem will go undetected until exploited.

Thanks again for your work,
Michael