Re: dfsg tarball and non-dfsg version number

Hi Anton,

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 02:52:48AM +0400, Anton Martchukov wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 09, 2011 at 02:57:20PM -0700, Hamish wrote:
> > +dfsg into version name:
> > as our build will be bit-for-bit identical to one built from a non-
> > stripped version of the source (the only difference between the
> > source tarballs being unused mac/windows dirs), I don't see a
> > point in adding the +dfsg to the binary package version, it
> > clutters for no reason. (if pbuilder method has issues, then fix
> > pbuilder...)
>
> Does anybody have a clue if it will build by autobuilder fine?

The autobuilders will find and use it just fine.

> When debian changelog lists version 2.4.708 and corresponding
> tarball is opencpn_2.4.708+dfsg.orig.tar.gz since some
> non-dfsg binaries has been stripped off.
>
> E.g. pbuilder fails to find the tarball unless version in
> changelog is changed to 2.4.708+dfsg.

That's due to the naming convention. See
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version
for in-depth discussion. You may use ~dfsg, +dfsg, -dfsg just fine inside
upstream_version. Just be aware that ~dfsg is the only form that will allow
upstream's original version to increase to any value and still allow a
smooth upgrade as the ~ is always smaller than any other ascii char by
design.

That being said, of course if your Debian version is 2.4.708+dfsg-1 then
this reads:
* epoch: ""
* upstream_version: 2.4.708+dfsg
* debian_revision: 1

Therefor your orig tarball needs the +dfsg too (this is not part of the
debian revision).

In case you need this as regexp:
might work. (Untested though but should do for regular and Debian native
versions)

--
Best regards,
Kilian