Re: RFS: xnoise (2nd try)

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 04:02:08PM +0200, shuerhaaken wrote:
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "xnoise".
>
> * Package name    : xnoise
>   Version                 : 0.1.26-1
>   Upstream Author : Jörn Magens <shuerhaaken@googlemail.com>
> * URL                      : http://code.google.com/p/xnoise/
> * License                : GPLv2+
>   Section                 : x11
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> xnoise     - media player for Gtk+
> xnoise-dev - media player for Gtk+ (development files)

> The upload would fix these bugs: 632932

Here are some comments on your package, note that I'm not a DD, hence I
cannot sponsor your package:

- debian/control:
  + You don't need to manually add libraries to the Depends field: that's
  what the ${shlibs:Depends} variable is made for. It gets replaced at build
  time with the libraries used and their versions.
  + At some point the long description states "There is are plugins
  available.", I think there's a typo in there :)
  + There's another typo in the descriptions, "Gstreamer" should be
  "GStreamer".
  + The package Build-Depends on debhelper (>= 7.0.50). Given that this is
  the first version of the package I think it may be a good idea to start
  with debhelper (>= 8) (that's the recommended version). Don't forget to
  bump also debian/compat.
  + Are those versioned Build-Depends (apart from the debhelper one) really
  needed (so that the package won't build if the versions are not
  satisfied)? If not, please drop them. They make more difficult to backport
  packages.
  + IMHO the Section should be "sound" instead of "x11".
  + xnoise-dev Depends on xnoise (>= 0.1.25). If your intent is to depend
  on the newer version of xnoise, something like (= ${binary:Version})
  would be better, so that the version gets updated after each build and
  you don't need to update it manually.
  + It may be a good idea to split the plugins in a separate package,
  something like xnoise-plugins. It would move some of the Depends out of
  the main package, so that users are not forced to install them all if not
  needed. You may then Suggests or Recommends it from the main package.

- debian/copyright:
  + You may want to use the DEP5 "Machine-readable debian/copyright"
  format [0]. It's not a requirement but it's highly appreciated by most
  sponsors :)
  + You should use a versioned path for the license:
  "/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2" not "/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL".

- debian/rules:
  + The comments at the beginning of the file are not needed, please remove
  them.
  + As Joachim suggested, you may want to use a debian/xnoise.manpages file
  instead of manually overriding dh_installman.
  + The package Build-Depends on autotools-dev but it is not used. You
  should add "--with autotools-dev" on the "dh $@" line.

- debian/xnoise.install:
  + This lists "usr/lib/xnoise/*.so", isn't that file better installed in
  the -dev package?

- debian/watch:
  + You may want to use the googlecode.debian.net redirector. Something like
    http://googlecode.debian.net/p/xnoise/xnoise-(\d+.*)\.tar\.bz2

Note that there may be something more that I miseed.

Cheers

[0] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/

--
perl -E'$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'