Re: RFS: qasmixer

Hello Kilian

Also thanks to you for taking the time to review this package.

The new package source is uploaded.

looking closer at your package I find the following:

1. It's an intial upload to Debian AFAICT. Yet your debian/changelog is
    cluttered with a number of entries already. For an initial upload it's
    good practice to have only one entry in debian/changelog with the closing
    entry to the ITP bug as already stated. If for any reasonable explanation
    of your packaging more lines are neccessary, you can leave them in, but
    consider that this is a first time starter without history from a Debian
    POV.

It just wasn't clear to me what information should be in the changelog and so at first I dumped the whole upstream CHANGELOG into it.
But following the "good practice" it now only contains one entry:
  * Initial public release (Closes: #632642)

2. Your debian/watch doesn't work. Yield remote version -0.12.0
    Even if corrected this makes it virtually impossible to compare with the
    original upstream tarball if that upstream version isn't yet available
    for public download.

    Btw. the correct regexp would be:
    http://sf.net/qasmixer/qasmixer-(.+)\.tar\.gz

    As you're upstream yourself you may want to publish the 0.12.1 version
    first though instead of basing your Debian package on a tarball that
    *may* not be yet official and thus final. Point is, we don't know. ;-)

The whole point for the 0.12.1 release was to make Debian integration smoother. Since most things seem to work now I've uploaded the tarball to the SF project page. uscan still doesn't find it but that's probably because the SF mirrors are not synchronized, yet.
Also I've change the regexp to
http://sf.net/qasmixer/qasmixer[-_](.+)\.tar\.gz
because up to 0.12.0 a minus "-" is used and from 0.12.1 on I'd like use and underscore "_" as a separator.

3. You explicitly put versioned Depends for your binary. Some of them are
    even overriden by dh_makeshlibs and replaced with more recent versions.
    What's the reason you don't simply rely upon ${shlibs:Depends} and
    ${misc:Depends} to catch all required libs in their correct version?

    For example, you put libqt4-svg (>= 4.6.3) but the final deb has
    libqt4-svg (>= 4:4.5.3) which is newer due to the epoch (leading 4:) - is
    that what you intended? Same goes for libqt4-network and libqtgui4.

There's no specific reason for the hardcoded dependencies.
I just didn't know how great the automatic dependency resolution works and put in some libraries of which I knew QasMixer would play along with well. They're gone now.

4. You may want to run your short and long description past a native English
    speaker's review. One easily grasps what you're trying to express, but
    IMHO it could be worded more smoothly. Just my peronal oppinion though
    and purely cosmetic change. ;-)
    I'm sure the debian-l10n-english@lists.debian.org folks will be happy to
    help you here.

I've changed the short and long description after reading the descriptions of some other mixers (gnome-alsamixer, tkmixer). It's probably still not the most awesome literature but IMHO should be good enough to let a user decide is he/she likes to try it or not.
Also I'm not ready for yet another Debian related mailing list.

Apart from that good work and ready for upload.

Sweet!

There goes the next round:
- Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable main contrib non-free - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/q/qasmixer/qasmixer_0.12.1-1.dsc

Cheers,