Re: How to make a meta package unremovable?

2011/6/13 Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org>:
> David Kalnischkies <kalnischkies@gmail.com> writes:
>> What could be done is tweaking resolver scoring points, but honestly:
>> that is black-magic even for me -- and as you can only change this for
>> priorities it has side-effects for other packages with this priority and
>> these would be still allowed to remove your package…
>> (i said this only for completeness, i would not recommend to even try it)
>
> sbuild seems to use this when installing build dependencies with the
> aptitude-based resolver.  It passes
>
>  -o Aptitude::ProblemResolver::Hints::KeepDummy="reject $dummy_pkg_name :UNINST"
>
> along with some other options (cf. lib/Sbuild/AptitudeResolver.pm in the
> sbuild source package).  I don't know whether one wants to use this
> somewhere else or not.

Thats something different and indeed a way to forbid certain actions on
certain packages for the aptitude resolver, but these are not supported by
any other solver, most notable APTs so most front-ends (if not all beside
aptitude) do not understand it. If the system just uses aptitude it might
be feasable to drop a config file in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/ for this option.

What I meant is something similar, through completely different, in
the APT resolver.
A Package gets a certain score (Debug::pkgProblemResolver::ShowScores --
beware the output is huge!) based on various things including the priority.
The score decides which package wins in a fight - Debug::pkgProblemResolver.
So if the score is high, the package always wins - so it can't be
removed as only loosers will be removed. ;)
But as said, its hard to influence it in the right way in this usecase,
so better forget that i have said it. It was just for completition.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies