Re: ia32-libs-dev build dependency vs. Ubuntu

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Gregor Jasny <gjasny@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm the maintainer of v4l-utils and ran into the following problem:
>
> The last v4l-utils Debian package added a build dependency to libjpeg,
> and because I also build 32bit libs on amd64 (for Skype) I had to add an
> build dependency on ia32-libs-dev (where libjpeg.so lives on Debian).
>
> But as far as I can see Ubuntu does not have this package. Here the
> libjpeg.so file is provided within the ia32-libs package.
>
> Do you know how I can express this within the control file?
>
> IMHO the Ubuntu ia32-libs package should provide the ia32-libs-dev
> dependency. But it seems not to be there.
>
> Personally I'd like to drop the 32bit packages and use multiarch. But
> this does not seem to be ready for prime time.

So, IIRC multiarch in Debian is blocked on a couple of patches
percolating through experimental (dpkg and apt I think). However in
Ubuntu multiarch is usable and things are progessing well.

So I think for Debian in the short term you need to keep the current
dependency, and for the long term on Debian, plus short term on Ubuntu
you should go multiarch.

-Rob