Re: RFS: brainparty

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Johannes Storm <jo-master@gmx.de> wrote:

> i am in contact with the upstream author. he will dropping the soundsnap
> files. perhaps he also can replace stuff with CC-BY-ND so the package
> becomes free.

Excellent!

> what does it means »source code of a font«? isn't the included ttf file
> enough?

Just like Firefox or Linux has source code, so do fonts.

The TTF file was built from some text files using the program
FontForge. The source code is those text files:

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/freefont/sfd/?root=freefont

In any case the ttf is just an embedded font copy, the package should
depend on the font not include a copy of it. So please ask upstream to
remove it from the source code tarballs.

> if he use freesans in his images, can't he publish the images as is? i
> understand you so, that if he use other fonts (and don't paint all by
> himself) he also have to publish a license for this fonts. is this
> right?

The main thing about the font stuff is that rendering text into the
images makes it impossible to change the text (in case of a spelling
error or similar), especially when we don't know what the fonts are.
Also it prevents translating the program to languages other than
English. Please tell upstream to render text at runtime and use
fontconfig to find an appropriate font.

> i think the upstream author is interested in distribution this game as
> package, so he will change his project.

Cool :)

--
bye,