Re: RFS: socketcan-utils

Hello Markus,

i really appreciate your attempt to create some debian packages for the
SocketCAN utilities and the PEAK driver!

(FYI: the PEAK driver is now maintained by Stephane Grosjean)

Some more comments inside the text:

> From: Markus Becker <mab@comnets.uni-bremen.de>
> To: debian-mentors@lists.debian.org
> Subject: RFS: socketcan
>
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "socketcan".
>
> * Package name    : socketcan

Better: socketcan-utils or at least 'can-utils' as they are for the standard
CAN subsystem of the linux kernel. Details below.

>   Version         : 0.0.1+svn1240-1

>   Upstream Author :     Volkswagen Group Electronic Research
>     Wolfgang Grandegger <wg@grandegger.com>
>     Vladislav Gribov, IXXAT Automation GmbH, <gribov@ixxat.de>
>     <socketcan-users@lists.berlios.de>

Most of the tools in socketcan/trunk/can-utils have been created by myself
working at Volkswagen Group Research. This is also the reason of the license
text which is a BSD/GPL license which has also been used in the Linux Kernel
sources. Setting the license to GPL-2 in Debian packages will fit best.

Having a feedback on <socketcan-users@lists.berlios.de> worked pretty good so
far as many people with know-how are monitoring the list. If you like to have
a single maintainer name, you can take me:

    Oliver Hartkopp <socketcan@hartkopp.net>

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/socketcan/

> * License         : GPL-2

ACK

>   Section         : net

ACK

> It builds these binary packages:
> socketcan-driver - Source for the socketcan kernel modules

Please omit the socketcan-driver package idea. The BerliOS SVN is only used
for some staging drivers, supporting of outdated kernels and development of
new network layer protocols. The Linux Mainline kernel contains the up-to-date
CAN drivers. Mixing the socketcan/trunk/kernel/2.6/... with mainline kernel
stuff leads to some problems, you won't like so solve ;-)

> socketcan-utils - Socket-CAN user space programs

This is a very good approach. These utilities (e.g. for the slcan driver) are
working great for the mainline drivers.

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/socketcan/socketcan_0.0.1+svn1240-1.dsc

> The upload would fix this RFP bugs: #568303
>
> Please CC me, as I am not subscribed to the list.

Me too :-)
I've just googled for you as i've seen your commits to the "PEAK-System Linux
driver packaging" from Teemu Ikonen.

Best regards,
Oliver