Re: Is it good practice to post a bugrep for your own package?

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 04:04:34PM +0100, Tony Houghton wrote:
> I recently discovered a bug in the current release of roxterm: the
> configuration editor doesn't respond to changes in the text widgets. I'm
> surprised nobody else appeared to spot this; I suppose it's only been
> used lately by long term users with stable configurations. But it's
> quite a serious problem for new users wanting to set it up for the first
> time.
>
> I've fixed this upstream in git and will release a new version shortly,
> but would it be good practice to report this bug first and close it in
> the new release? Besides putting the bug on record maybe that would help
> expedite replacement of the broken version in testing?

If you need the bug as some sort of reminder of it, file it. If it's
release critical and the release team, the users, or the testing
migration script need to be aware of it, file it. If it's security
relevant and may be disclosed, file it. In every other case: it's your
package, your bug, yours to fix it... if you don't need the number,
don't generate one. :)

Hauke

--
 .''`.   Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org>               www.jhr-online.de