Re: RFS: alure (updated package)

Am 23.04.2011 09:50, schrieb George Danchev:
On Saturday 23 April 2011 10:03:32 Tobias Hansen wrote:
Am 23.04.2011 05:07, schrieb Paul Wise:
I would suggest adding a symbols file so that stuff using the new
symbols gets the new version and anything else gets the old version.

http://wiki.debian.org/UsingSymbolsFiles
On that wiki page it says:
"If you find (on some arches) symbols that are exported which are not
supposed to be public, you must not use symbols versioning at all."

If I'm not mistaken, private symbols are exported in the case of Alure
(see [1]). If I run dpkg-gensymbols myself on libalure1 1.1, I also get
such symbols starting with _Z.
Yes, _Z* are private, and are better to be stripped out.
Turns out they were standard library template functions that are not hidden when compiling with fvisibility=hidden. Same problem as here:
http://www.mentby.com/Group/gcc-help/symbols-in-so-even-when-using-fvisibilityhidden.html

Can I just create a symbols file containing only the public symbols? If
not, why not? What should I do otherwise?
You can, but that won't fix the object files exporting private symbols.
Instead you better suggest alure upstream to use a linker version script [1]
[2], to control symbols publication.
Upstream is adding a linker version script that I will add to the package once it's in the upstream git. Thanks for your help.